• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

making employees pay up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mudchick

Can you deduct from an employees pay, for mistakes they make or things they break? I've heard conflicting commentary on whether you can or can't and the circumstances. I have also talked to many people who have had to pay for stuff out of their checks etc. Can you take it out of the tips?(we have a tip jar that is shared by all employees). We have continuous missed charges and employees want us to take them out of their pay, but I thought that was illegal.

Also, I have read many conflicting comments on breaks. I read in a book that you do not have to give breaks unless they work 5 or more hours. I also read that breaks must be 20 minutes minimum to be clocked off the clock. What if employees do not want to take breaks and work 10-12 hours? If you provided the option for them to take a break, but they didn't want to, can you force them? or do you have to force them to take a break?

I am located in AZ.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">