• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Malicious Management

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoblessStudent

What is the name of your state?
California

I used to be a city bus driver in Southern California area. I was a Teamster union member by default. Even though I didn't maintain an impeccable attendence record, the rest of my record outshined most other employees. In the beginning of contract negotiations, the company wanted to sign a new contract that meant a 5% loss in pay, reduced benefits and a two-tier pay scale that most employees and union reps didn't like at all. Negotiations took months. In the meantime, there were reports that the union forced the company to sign an extended contract until the new one was signed which was never confirmed. The company started firing people for mundane reasons. One guy was fired 3 months away from his 25 year retirement date.
At the company, you have an option to work on days off for overtime, provided you call the night before anytime after 4pm for possible assignments.They fired me because they claim I didn't show up for work when I was scheduled. They say I was scheduled. I call numerous times the day before with no info posted for me. I have my phone bill to prove it. I showed it to them and my union rep. The company didn't bite. I applied for unemployment - denied the first time, appealed thinking for sure I would get it, and denied. In the hearing, I showed my proof to the judge and even one of the company's witness unwittedly supported my defense at the hearing.The company even came up with a so-call attendence schedule with my name on it. In my mind, if that paper was real, I would have gotten notice on of the few times I called to see if I was scheduled. I applied at similiar companies for emplyment to have mysterious rejections - no reasons specifically for denial. I heard that I was black balled. So now I have no job, proof I called the company the day before, and nowhere to go_Oh yeah, the company waited TWO weeks to notify me. Why?, when clearly I was eligible for a behavioral contract, with a work record that shows I am a model employee with awards and recognitions and customer compliments up the wha-hoozy, and a couple of (explainable) unscheduled days off. I need someone to make sense of this.

Last edited:

Beth3

Make sense of why you're having a problem finding new employment? Since we don't know anything about your experience, other than that you were a bus driver, and what types of jobs you're applying for, it's impossible to comment. It's quite possible there are many, many candidates for each position you've applied for.

I applied at similiar companies for emplyment to have mysterious rejections - no reasons specifically for denial. It's highly unlikely any employer is going to give you a reason, much less a specific reason. On the whole, employers just don't do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">