• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Management problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

momjm

What is the name of your state? VA
Hi. Needing advice will try to keep short. Gave my notice to my employer of 4.5 years 2 weeks ago they told me ok go ahead and leave now we will pay you for your two weeks and vacation that is due to you. Let me start by saying my evals have always been great. My reasons for resigning was emotional problems my immediate manager was causing me. I am not sure if I can file any claims against her. I have reported her in the past to higher management and as a result (higher management told on me) had to indur months of being on her sh** list. Just recently I had had enough of her belittleing nature and reported her to our main human resource office in another state. This was suppose to be unomious. Two days latter I was written up for absenteeism and a bad attitude. (Mind you she has been on baby leave for a month now, came in from home to write me up) We also played an email war back and forth with her saying I thought we were friends how could you back stab me like that, I am the only reason you still have a job because higher management wanted you fired last year blah, blah, blah. the final straw was I asked for 2 vacation days (have 2 weeks on the books) she denied it said we were two busy. I asked her to reconsider or I would have to put my notice in to attend an out of town family event. She said she would make a deal with me...if I stop complaining and talking bad about her she will let me take my time. I was tired of playing her game so I put my notice in. I have attempted numberous times to contact higher management about her and human resources as a result I feel I was forced to quit my job before I was ready to move on and my finanical situation is not good. I have sent HR all these emails some over 2 years old, still nothing. Is it worth talking to a lawyer? Any advice?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Did your atrocious spelling and grammar play any part in Management wanting to let you go last year?

If I was your employer, you wouldn't have lasted as long as you have. Obviously, your employer has been quite benevolent.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based on the information in your post, you do not have a legal case against either the company or the manager. It is possible that additional details about the nature of the treatment you received from the manager may change my answer.

No offense, momjm it sounds like you acted immature, overall about this. Your supervisor/boss may have acted like a jerk, but there is no reason to stoop down to their level, as much as you'd want to. Be the 'better person' about stuff like this.

Regarding vacation days, most companies have a policy in place that states vacations are not automatically approved. Depending on the business, many companies forbid vacations around the holidays/certain times of the year, other vacation conflicts, etc. Remember, these people have a company to run and they can't lose efficiency because everyone is one department puts in vacation requests for the same time. I'd suggest reviewing the vacation policy in the company handbook.

As far as you being written up for "absenteeism" and it is a false accusation (by company policy), then you have every right to contest that with your supervisor's supervisor. Plus, maybe the people in HR didn't say who it was who complained. Your supervisor probably easily put 2 and 2 together to figure out it was you. But, by telling your supervisor "the only they still have their job blah blah blah" is really out-of-line. You're lucky you didn't get fired on the spot for it, to be honest. Then you'd be out of the vacation time they owed you.

There are alot of supervisors/bosses out there who are outright jerks who deserve a good ass-kicking. Be the better person and be professional about it, even though your supervisor isn't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">