• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Management taking advantage of us.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

visavis

What is the name of your state? California

Recently I and several coworkers got together to protest working in extreme conditions with no possibility of raises. We discussed it with management and told them we would walk if they weren't willing to work with us. They called us all today and told us they "accepted our resignation" and raises weren't possible. They want us all to show up tomorrow and "sign some papers" and pick up our checks.

Also, two of these employees were told they were being hired at 8.50/hour but have been getting paid 8.00/hour for several months without their knowledge. Our pay rates are NOT printed on the checks. When questioned about it ownership/management did a tailspin, claiming they never told anyone that and that employees start out at 8/hr (even though several of us were started at 8.50). It's our suspicion that management/ownership has been taking advantage of us.

So... my questions are:

What do we do? Can we still collect unemployment until we find another job? Or is it understood that we have "resigned" even though we didn't exactly use those terms? Is their anything an employee can do about being paid unfair wages other than lose their job? Can they force us to sign anything? Also, any other advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Well, you can't collect unemployment because you quit. If you dispute that you quit, bring it up with management when you show up - ready to work - tomorrow. Don't sign anything that you don't agree with.

Buy a sunday paper and start looking for a job tonight.

The people who were getting shortchanged on pay rates should call the dept of labor about collection of unpaid wages. Hope they have something in writing as to what they were promised.

A

AAL

yeah, never ever sign documents that are vague and confusing. there are lots of bogus employers around and you have to learn how to identify them. i agree with some random guy, look for a better job - this is i think the best thing that you have to do now. good luck! :)

Beth3

Recently I and several coworkers got together to protest working in extreme conditions with no possibility of raises. We discussed it with management and told them we would walk if they weren't willing to work with us. They called us all today and told us they "accepted our resignation" and raises weren't possible. They want us all to show up tomorrow and "sign some papers" and pick up our checks. Contact the National Labor Relations Board immediately (www.nlrb.gov) You and your coworkers were engaging in a "concerted activity" and I strongly suspect your employer was in violation of the National Labor Relations Act by discharging everyone. (It doesn't matter that the employer called it a resignation.)

Everyone discharged should also apply for unemployment benefits right away. If you've presented all the relevant facts above, I very much expect the State will grant UC benefits to everyone.

visavis

Beth- Thank you! I will do these things. Much appreciated.

Oh, and "some random guy", I looked this up: It's a myth that you can't receive unemployment if you quit. In this state, you can voluntarily quit and if the situation is as stated by law (namely, that any "reasonable person" would have left) you may be eligible for unemployment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While it is true that there are situations in which you can quit and stil receive UI, those situations are few and far between. So few and so far between that it is not really inaccurate to make a blanket statement that if you quit you don't get benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">