• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mandatory drug testing or termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Blssdangel76

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have been employed with the same restaurant for quite some time now. When I was hired, drug testing was not a condition of employment. Now the company has stepped forward and stated that all employees must consent to a drug test on the premise on a set date or be terminated immediately. Myself, as many of my co-workers do not use drugs but are upset by company tactics. Testing was never a condition of employment. In my particuliar situation, I am not able to attend the mandatory date set for this testing and am not permitted to test anywhere else even at my cost. So now, I am losing my long-time position and only source of income due the company's sudden decision to test everyone not just those suspected of using. I'm trying to find any help available to me. Thank you!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the way your company is handling this, I have been unable to find any law, either Federal or Virginia law, that would make your employer's actions unlawful. Neither Federal nor Virginia law prohibits drug testing; according to my source book drug testing is considered to be lawful unless there is a specific statute in your state prohibiting it. Virginia does not have such a statute, or at least they did not as of the publication date of my source material.

The fact that testing was not a condition of employment at the time you were hired is irrelevant. The company is permitted to make whatever changes to their policies they wish in the absence of a contract or statute that says otherwise.

H

hexeliebe

The only LEGAL help you can reasonably expect is to either cancel your other appointment and get to the drug testing or look for another job.

The company is entirely within it's rights to test for drugs. And they are doing so equitably by requiring testing of everyone.

This is a non-issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">