• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mandatory Meetings PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lldsmitty13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
I am a part time hourly Employee working at a resort a distance from my house 1/2 hour each way. There are now Mandatory Staff Meetings bi-weekly. Are you required to attend if you are not scheduled during that time frame or if you scheduled to have off that day?

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
I am a part time hourly Employee working at a resort a distance from my house 1/2 hour each way. There are now Mandatory Staff Meetings bi-weekly. Are you required to attend if you are not scheduled during that time frame or if you scheduled to have off that day?
No, you don't HAVE to go. Your employer doesn't HAVE to keep you on if you don't.

If they say you must, you must. But you must also be compensated for the meeting time.

Beth3

Are you required to attend if you are not scheduled during that time frame or if you scheduled to have off that day? If your employer wants you there, then you need to be there. If you refuse, they're free to terminate your employment.

lldsmitty13

Mandatory Meetings

I will try working out another arrangement with employers. To ask an employee making $8.15 an hour to drive a 1/2 hour in 1/2 hour back for a 1hour meeting that could be designated to a memo or video feed. If you are scheduled in the late day shift that means 2 trips. I thought your days off were your own? I guess I am naive in the sense that your are required on your own time to be mandatorily summoned with no recourse other than to relinquish your job. An unfair practice I do believe on employees rights.

lldsmitty13

Mandatory Meetings

When taking the position we signed an employee contract but there was no mention during interviews or hiring that mandatory meetings were even mentioned. I thought that a contract excluded the "at will" employee issue.

eerelations

Not quite sure what you're getting at here, you seem to be going in several directions at once.

However, that said, it's perfectly legal for employers to withhold information about mandatory meetings during the hiring process, and perfectly legal for employers to fire employees for refusing to attend mandatory meetings after they've eventually been told about them. That's called "insubordination" and it's a fireable offense whether you're at-will or not. Period.

Beth3

I thought your days off were your own? Unless your employer schedules you to be at work, which is exactly what has taken place with these mandatory meetings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">