• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mandatory Overtime Job Issues.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cole_lol

What is the name of your state?
Oklahoma.

Ok here recently the company I work for has started to issue manditory overtime. I only work about 35 hours a week and they are wanting us to work about 5+ hours more a week. I was told that I wont be terminated but the company will frown and be noted on my file. But I have an form that I have filled out and its an exceptions forum that states the hours I can work and the company approved. Does this mean that I can have the company come back and haunt me? And can I be fired for it?

Thanks
Cole

lexi48

Mandatory Overtime

Hi Cole,

Was the form you signed for medical reasons? To be totally honest, I do not know if they can let you go if you don't work overtime. What do you do?
However, to be on the safe side I strongly suggest getting her remark that you would not be fired in writing. Let us know.

Lexi

seniorjudge

Cole_lol said:
What is the name of your state?
Oklahoma.

Ok here recently the company I work for has started to issue manditory overtime. I only work about 35 hours a week and they are wanting us to work about 5+ hours more a week. I was told that I wont be terminated but the company will frown and be noted on my file. But I have an form that I have filled out and its an exceptions forum that states the hours I can work and the company approved. Does this mean that I can have the company come back and haunt me? And can I be fired for it?

Thanks
Cole
If you were my employee, you would be history.

But maybe Oklahoma has different rules.

Stand by....

Beth3

But I have an form that I have filled out and its an exceptions forum that states the hours I can work and the company approved. Does this mean that I can have the company come back and haunt me? An agreement regarding your work schedule when you start is not a "forever" agreement. Things change and the company is free to change your work schedule and everyone else's.

And can I be fired for it? Yes.

The only exception to the above is if you have a disability as defined in the ADA which limits the hours you can work. In that case, your employer has to at least consider whether allowing you to continue working your prior schedule is a reasonable accommodation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Mandatory overtime is legal in all 50 states with the exception of a very few with industry-specific exceptions where safety is involved.

Unless you have a bona fide contract that says otherwise, your employer is free to change your hours at any time, no matter what your offer letter may have said. An offer letter rarely reaches the standard of a contract.

You can most certainly be fired for refusing to work the hours your employer wants you to work, including mandatory overtime.

I can't think of any exceptions other than the one Beth has provided. Even in those cases, the employer only has to consider allowing you to work the prior schedule; if there is another accomodation that would accomplish the same effect, they are not necessarily required to excuse you from overtime.

Gadfly

As long as all employees in the same class are required it's fine.

Enjoy the extra money. If you ever get a salary job you'll be wishing for the days when you got paid extra for working extra.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">