• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mandatory Overtime On Weekends - Is this Right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlcduran

What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband works for a company who just recently started taking on some evacuees from the hurricane in Louisiana and now. The regional manager has just recently sent out a memo to all property employees stating that they are to work Saturdays and Sundays now. This will be considered overtime, but they are saying that this is mandatory otherwise they can be fired if they don't comply. Is this right? If so, they won't be getting a day off at all. Weekends are supposed to be for that purpose and jobs shouldn't be forcing people to give that up.

Please tell me what is right!

Sincerely
MLCDURAN

seniorjudge

The same thing has happened to me on prior jobs I've had and I worked.

So, I guess I can't really answer your question.

Sorry.

racer72

I once worked 64 straight days without a day off, many of the days were 12 hour days, all overtime was mandatory. Unless your husband has a union contract that says otherwise, he can work the OT or quit. The nice part is, think of the big paychecks he will bring home. :D

Bcar1463

I am not sure about Texas, but I would image they have something similar. Ky has a labor law that says it is illegal for an employer to require an employee to work 7 days a week. The law has a bunch of stipulations however and doesn't apply to many (if not most) situations, like on-call jobs, some managers/supervisors, and certain job fields etc... But it might be something to research. First thing I would do is have a serious talk with the boss. If I cannot get him to let me have a day off, I would just tell him that I was not going to be there on sat or sun, and if they wanted to fire me then so be it. I can't imagine it hurting if you list on your next job application that you were "let go" from this position because you requested time off from your 7 day a week schedule to help hurricane victims.

Sockeye

It is not illegal in any state to require mandatory overtime. It is true that not showing or refusing to work the OT can result in termination.

There are some states that do require some time off, but Texas is not one of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">