• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marital status termination - performance related termination form overseas. HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acidcrash

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am currently located in Okinawa, Japan. My company is located in Virginia and I am a resident of Florida... Complicated enough?

First, I am having trouble finding legal representation. My termination date is May 1 and I have until March 1 to agree to the severance agreement.

Background:
I am a married father of 3 on a US contract located in Okinawa, Japan on a US mil base.

I have worked for a major aerospace company for 8 years and 7 of those years have been overseas. Last year my manager was fired and new manager was hired with no management education and no management experience.

6 months after he was hired, he began to be dissatisfied with my performance but extended my location contract without request. I came up with a plan to improve the discrepancies that he noted and hit all the gates. A month later he made comments at a conference that his employees should not be distracted by their family life ( specifically having to leave at end of shift to pick up kids instead of working late). I was out of work in October for sickleave and he made surprise trip to my field location in early November to fill in for me. While he was here he made comments to contractors that this was a job for a SINGLE MAN. He began throwing a tantrum and threw consumables around the office and slamming doors when I returned from sick leave. He expressed dissatisfaction with my performance and stated he would put me on a Personnel Improvement Plan.
In January he called with HR via telecon and stated that I was being terminated but could apply for a shop job at the overhaul facility (not comparable job).
I am not sure if I have a case or not. I have witnesses that are willing to sign an affidavit as to his statements about wanting single men (such as himself) in this position.
My customer is pleased with my performance and has requested that I stay.

Please help. I cannot find legal representation at the moment and I feel that I am being hung out to dry.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am currently located in Okinawa, Japan. My company is located in Virginia and I am a resident of Florida... Complicated enough?

First, I am having trouble finding legal representation. My termination date is May 1 and I have until March 1 to agree to the severance agreement.

Background:
I am a married father of 3 on a US contract located in Okinawa, Japan on a US mil base.

I have worked for a major aerospace company for 8 years and 7 of those years have been overseas. Last year my manager was fired and new manager was hired with no management education and no management experience.

6 months after he was hired, he began to be dissatisfied with my performance but extended my location contract without request. I came up with a plan to improve the discrepancies that he noted and hit all the gates. A month later he made comments at a conference that his employees should not be distracted by their family life ( specifically having to leave at end of shift to pick up kids instead of working late). I was out of work in October for sickleave and he made surprise trip to my field location in early November to fill in for me. While he was here he made comments to contractors that this was a job for a SINGLE MAN. He began throwing a tantrum and threw consumables around the office and slamming doors when I returned from sick leave. He expressed dissatisfaction with my performance and stated he would put me on a Personnel Improvement Plan.
In January he called with HR via telecon and stated that I was being terminated but could apply for a shop job at the overhaul facility (not comparable job).
I am not sure if I have a case or not. I have witnesses that are willing to sign an affidavit as to his statements about wanting single men (such as himself) in this position.
My customer is pleased with my performance and has requested that I stay.

Please help. I cannot find legal representation at the moment and I feel that I am being hung out to dry.
If the customer wants you to stay about the only thing that would help is if the customer puts pressure on the company to keep you...and expresses dissatisfaction with the manager's actions.

acidcrash

If the customer wants you to stay about the only thing that would help is if the customer puts pressure on the company to keep you...and expresses dissatisfaction with the manager's actions.
There is not warrant for wrongful termination?
I am concerned that my manager is a single man that does not want a married family man in this position. He expressed his view in front of my customers and coworkers and within two months I was being terminated. I am required to work my customers hours in Japan plus my Business hours in the UK and US. Isn't that unreasonable and consistent with constructive termination? Especially concerning his views on married men?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is in some states, but for the life of me I can't figure out which set of laws applies here.

eerelations

Probably Florida. OP resides there and appears to be on an extended business trip in Japan. The only other possible applicable laws would be Japanese. If for some reason Japanese law applies, given that Japan has almost 0 employment laws, it is unlikely that it would be illegal to fire someone based on marital status.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If Florida law applies, then the employer has a problem because marital status IS protected there.

On the other hand, if Federal law applies but not any given state law, then the OP is out of luck because as ee pointed out, it's not a protected category at the Federal level.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're our local expert on cross-country employment, but if he's on a US contract on a military base, doesn't that imply US law? :confused: (asking, not arguing)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">