• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marked as unhireable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tower31

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

First let me thank everyone for your time. I have been a manager for a fast food company for the last 17 years. I enjoy my job and follow all of the rules. Last year I started working part time for a different owner to make some extra cash. At the time I was hired, I was told by the manager that the supervisor did not like me. This is a person who I have never met. I shrugged it off and worked the next six months. I gave the part time job my all. I followed all of the company rules and never missed a shift or showed up late. At the end of May I needed a break and put in my two week notice. I worked out the notice and thought everything was ok.

Two weeks ago I talked to the new manager at the store who ironically used to work for my same company that I currently work for. He was delighted to have me back and told me just to let him know when I wanted to start. I called him today and he informed me that the supervisor told him no and that I was not available to be rehired. I immediately called the owner who said he would talk to her and get back to me.

I have always been under the impression that it was illegal to mark someone as such without probable cause. This could also hurt my future employment with other companies if I were to use them as a reference. What should I do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your understanding is incorrect. There are no laws that dictate to the employer who may and may not designate someone as not being eligible for rehire or for what reasons, regardless of whether they have "cause" or not.

Most if not all hiring managers are well aware that companies have all kinds of reasons for designating someone as "ineligible for rehire" and that not all such designations mean that you were a "bad" employee. For example, I worked for one employer that would never rehire any employee under any circumstances, for complicated reasons regarding non-disclosure agreements, trade secrets and our funding. But the "no-rehire" designation didn't stop one of our biggest competitors from trying to lure some of our more specialized employees away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">