• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mass: Been Diagnosed with Cancer. Need some advise about work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rockrivr1

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Unfortunately I've just been diagnosed with Liver cancer and will need to start the treatments to try and stop it. I still have to go over the specifics with my doctor, but I'm assuming it's Chemo, radiation, combination of both etc.

My question though is what I should do about work? I know I have to tell them, but I don't want to get fired or forced into taking an unpaid medical leave. I can't afford to not work. My company has short and long term disability, which I'm hoping to use if I become to sick to get into work every day. I've actually opted to pay for the long term disability premium out of my paycheck instead of getting it paid by the company and then taxed at the end of the year.

Anyone have any idea how this works or should I just talk with a lawyer about my options. Figured I'd try one of these forums first. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A lot really dep[ends on the terms of the disability policies. You would certainly qualify for FMLA but that is unpaid unless you apply paid vacation or sick leave to it.(If the disability policy WILL pay on an intermittant basis as needed, this will run concurrently with FMLA.)

You're probably better off running your questions through HR first and see what the employer can and will do. There's really no need, at this point, to assume a lawyer will be necessary.

Unfortunately, nothing in MA law requires that they provide you with paid leave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">