• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mass terminiation at public school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beast

What is the name of your state (RI)?

Not sure if anyone caught this in the news but I teach at a public high school that has been in corrective action for 7 years. It's an urban school that has been labeled "low performing, non-improving". Our union is halfway through a three year contract. We are required by fed law to pick a reformation model to improve the school. The union and administration couldn't come to an agreement on the contractual changes so the superintendent send out termination notices to every person in the building. Our state law does allow the commissioner of ed to reconstitute the school if it is not showing progress. We are required to show 3% growth in literacy and math. Our literacy has gone up 21 % in two years and we met the 3% in math this year. Still we were all terminated. Now there is not one teacher in the building that is on any sort of corrective action plan or identified as needing improvement..officially anyway. Many of us have had stellar evaluations over our entire careers. They've known for several months that they were going to let everyone go. The plan is to let everyone reapply for their job after they've been evaluated...after we've been terminated. Every single teacher was evaluated per order of the department of education and the teacher with poor evaluations were fired. Now the rest of us are being let go with a contract still standing.

Does any of this make sense. Are there any federals laws that prevent this? They only cited state law when explaining why and how this is being done to us, even though state law says tenured teachers must be put on an action plan prior to termination.

justalayman

I don't see any reason Federal law would have any place here. Seems like a state issue.

Did I hear correctly that they can rehire only up to 50% of the terminated teachers?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A Federal law dictating how to handle a state matter?

No, ma'am. No such law.

beast

I don't see any reason Federal law would have any place here. Seems like a state issue.

Did I hear correctly that they can rehire only up to 50% of the terminated teachers?

Yes. We've all been terminated then we can reapply for our positions and they will take up to %0% back. There are two programs, one state and the other federal, where you can become a teacher in six weeks. This is where they plan to get their pool of new teachers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">