• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maternity Leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reney

I live in Michigan. I went on maternity leave fully believing that I had a job to come back to after my standard 6 week leave. I went back and my employer laid me off. Can he do this?

Job background - Our company hired a person to do my job while I would be gone. I was going to start doing something when I returned from having my baby. I was ready to come back to work, so I visited the office to see if the boss was there to make sure that I had a job to come back to. He wasn't there. I left stating that I would be back on Monday to start working.

During my pregnancy I had asked my boss a couple of times: "Even if I have "Sally" trained well, do I still have a job to come back to?" and he said yes several times.

On the day that I reported back to work, he called me into his office and told me to look for another job, that there was nothing for me to do, and he wasn't even sure where the company would be in six months, and he may have to lay other people off.

Did he break the law by not hiring me back? Should he haev laid off the girl that I trained and hired me back in that position? If you could please give me some insight I would greatly appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">