• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maternity leave lay off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mebaby333

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I just returned to my job in Arizona(which is based out of Minnesota) from maternity and they laid me off 1 week after my return. Is this legal?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Allow me to clarify:

Assuming that your employer is subject to the Pregnancy Discrimination Act (15 employees) and/or the Family Medical Leave Act (50) employees, you cannot be laid off BECAUSE you were on medical/maternity leave.

However, taking neither maternity or medical leave protects you, under any law at all, from a layoff that would have taken place regardless. If you would have been laid off had you not taken maternity leave, you can be laid off now. Pregnancy/maternity/medical illness grants no special rights or protections for layoffs done for business reasons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">