• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

may get fired for dating my boss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjoey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan. Being treated very unfairly. HR was bending over backwards to help make this relationship a go with minimal changes. Then all of a sudden we cant do that. Have asked me to apply to a different area with proof that I will not be fairly considered for the position. Help. I've been with the company for 7 years and he for 15. He is a Senior manager and I am one of his direct reports

swalsh411

Nothing in your post suggests you are about to get fired. *

* but it's perfectly legal to fire somebody for being in a personal relationship that goes against company policy.

mjoey

Thanks for the reply. The "rules" say that all relationships need to be disclosed. We have done that and everything was going just great. The choices now are vague. Quit, end the relationship or transfer to a different area. I have applied and now the borderline harrassment is begining.

eerelations

It would be perfectly legal for your company to fire you even though you've complied with company policy to the letter. In fact, it would be perfectly legal for your company to fire you even if you weren't having an internal romantic relationship!

I'm not sure what you mean by "borderline harassment." If you're talking about illegal harassment, nothing in any of your posts indicates that what you're experiencing even remotely resembles illegal harassment. If you're saying that the choices the company has offered you (i.e., "quit, end the relationship or transfer to a different area") constitute harassment, well maybe they do...but not illegal harassment.

mjoey

Then what is the point of following the specific guidelines! It does not go against code of conduct and there are other relationships like this. Many have gotten married. I just want to know what options I have. I have never been in any trouble at work and I am just getting worried. I have always had exceeds reviews. I really want to stay with the company. You cant help who you fall in love with! I work 6 days a week.

swalsh411

Your options would be to be a good employee and hope they don't fire you, or look for another job. You have no legal case against the company if they terminate your employment.

pattytx

You cant help who you fall in love with!
No, you can't. On the other hand, you report to this person and, as such, it opens up the company to all kinds of possible conflict of interest and favoritism allegations. It is very poor management to allow one person in a relationship to report to the other person in the relationship. In addition, I can't tell you the number of times I've heard about the relationship going bad, then the person who was "wronged" claims he/she was sexually harrassed.

eerelations

It does not go against code of conduct and there are other relationships like this. Many have gotten married. I just want to know what options I have.
While it may not be against company rules (i.e., the code of conduct), it would still be perfectly legal to fire you over this, even if the company didn't fire any of the others. I understand this seems very unfair to you, but just because something seems unfair doesn't mean it's against the law.

The company has already told you what your options are (i.e., "quit, end the relationship or transfer to a different area"). Unless your company decides to expand on this list, these are the only options available to you at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">