• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Insurance and my Paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My employer has not been taking out my medical insurance from my check for the past 9 months. They just now realized their mistake (and so did I...), and now they're telling me I owe them like $1800. Is this legal??????

In South Carolina

Thanks,
Kevin

JETX

Have you actually been insured, but they just forgot to deduct the premiums??? If so, then you got the benefit of the insurance and need to pay it. In this case, your review of your paystub should have alerted you to the fact that there wasn't a deduction for insurance and prompted your asking.

However, if they also 'forgot' to enroll you into the insurance program, then you weren't receiving the benefit of insurance and wouldn't have to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">