• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical slips

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brucebatman73

What is the name of your state? Indiana

The company I work for currently has a point policy of 7 and 1/2 points plus you get 2 medical slips a year. As of February 1st, they are going to a 7 point system with NO medical slips unless you are hospitalized. That is the only way that they will excuse you. As of now I can go to the doctor if I have an illness and get a doctors note and they will excuse me without receiving a point against me, only 2 a year. When the new policy takes place in February and I if go to the doctor for an illness and the doctor says that I need to take a day or 2 off of work, I will receive a point or 2 against me even if I have a doctors slip. My question is**************Is this legal for the company to go against a doctors decision in the state of Indiana? or...... Is this legal for them to fire you if you have a doctors slip?What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

It's not like they're going to fire you if your get sick once. You get 7 unscheduled absences - that's a decent number. Plus, if it's an FMLA-qualified illness, they can't count it against you. But other then that, nothing wrong with the policy.

brucebatman73

Would you know where I can find info on the law that says that they have the right to fire a person if they are sick and have a doctors slip that says they should not be at work under doctors orders?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's not that there is a law that gives them permission to fire you in these circumstances. It's that there is not a law that prohibits it.

A doctor's note has NO force in law outside of FMLA.

brucebatman73

I just wanted to get as much info on this as I could so that I could relay back to my fellow employee's. Thank you for your time.

Beth3

Is this legal for the company to go against a doctors decision in the state of Indiana? A doctor's note has no force of law. Frankly, doctor's notes are a dime a dozen (you can even get them on the internet these days) and your employer has no obligation to excuse absences because an employeee presented them with a doctor's note unless the situation qualifies for leave under the FMLA.

or...... Is this legal for them to fire you if you have a doctors slip? Yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">