+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Medical slips

brucebatman73 is offline Junior Member

Medical slips

What is the name of your state? Indiana

The company I work for currently has a point policy of 7 and 1/2 points plus you get 2 medical slips a year. As of February 1st, they are going to a 7 point system with NO medical slips unless you are hospitalized. That is the only way that they will excuse you. As of now I can go to the doctor if I have an illness and get a doctors note and they will excuse me without receiving a point against me, only 2 a year. When the new policy takes place in February and I if go to the doctor for an illness and the doctor says that I need to take a day or 2 off of work, I will receive a point or 2 against me even if I have a doctors slip. My question is**************Is this legal for the company to go against a doctors decision in the state of Indiana? or...... Is this legal for them to fire you if you have a doctors slip?What is the name of your state?
    eerelations is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=brucebatman73;1823642]Is this legal for the company to go against a doctors decision in the state of Indiana? or...... Is this legal for them to fire you if you have a doctors slip?[/QUOTE

Yes...and yes.
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    It's not like they're going to fire you if your get sick once. You get 7 unscheduled absences - that's a decent number. Plus, if it's an FMLA-qualified illness, they can't count it against you. But other then that, nothing wrong with the policy.
    Would you know where I can find info on the law that says that they have the right to fire a person if they are sick and have a doctors slip that says they should not be at work under doctors orders?
    cbg
    cbg is offline Senior Member
    It's not that there is a law that gives them permission to fire you in these circumstances. It's that there is not a law that prohibits it.

A doctor's note has NO force in law outside of FMLA.

Smile

I just wanted to get as much info on this as I could so that I could relay back to my fellow employee's. Thank you for your time.
    Beth3 is offline Senior Member
    Is this legal for the company to go against a doctors decision in the state of Indiana? A doctor's note has no force of law. Frankly, doctor's notes are a dime a dozen (you can even get them on the internet these days) and your employer has no obligation to excuse absences because an employeee presented them with a doctor's note unless the situation qualifies for leave under the FMLA.

or...... Is this legal for them to fire you if you have a doctors slip? Yes.
    A person, who is nice to you, but rude to a waiter, is not a nice person. (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)