• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Meeting 90 day probation period sales quotas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spearlman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Hello,
I was hired for a door to door sales job and began on October 28. There is a 90 day probation period in which you must meet a minimum sales quota of 16. That period includes the two weeks I was in classroom training and one week shadowing veteran sales reps. My first question, is that a legitimate probation expectation?
More importantly, I have been selling in my turf for 3 weeks and beginning my fourth week tomorrow. Most everyone in the sales office and everyone on my team has been given a standard company uniform with the company name displayed (shirts, jacket, and caps) except a handful of people including myself. While there may not be solid data which confirms the impact on sales, it is fairly common knowledge and common sense that when people see the company branding in several places they are more likely to open their doors. I can't sell if people are afraid to open their door. I am forced to wear my own clothes and jacket, which looks very unprofessional. In short, I don't feel I should be held to the same expectations in the 90 day period as those who are equipped with tools that I don't have. Is there any validity to this that I can bring to my Human Resources department?

Thank you for your assistance.
Scott
12/11/16

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I haven't seen the question over at ExpertLaw yet so I'll answer here.

My first question, is that a legitimate probation expectation? Doesn't matter if it is or isn't. If that's what they've chosen to set, there isn't any law that's going to tell them they have to change it.

Is there any validity to this that I can bring to my Human Resources department? You are free to bring anything you like to HR. It sounds perfectly reasonable to me. However, as above, there is no law you can invoke that will force them to pay any attention to you.

Bottom line, the standard may or may not be fair, but firing you for failing to meet it will be legal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Oh, I've seen it over there NOW. And I've seen it on still a third board now.

I just hadn't seen it there THEN. This happened to be the first of several boards where I saw it, that's all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">