• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Memorandum of Disciplinary Action

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jet80

I recently received a Memorandum of Disciplinary Action and am trying to figure out if I should sign it in its current form. While I know that their findings are their opinion on the situation I can't bring myself to sign it when it ends with the following sentence: "The undersigned acknowledge that they have had the opportunity to review this memorandum and agree to its terms and conditions." Can my employer force me to sign this document saying that I agree to their findings when i don't?

I recently received a Memorandum of Disciplinary Action and am trying to figure out if I should sign it in its current form. While I know that their findings are their opinion on the situation I can't bring myself to sign it when it ends with the following sentence: "The undersigned acknowledge that they have had the opportunity to review this memorandum and agree to its terms and conditions." Can my employer force me to sign this document saying that I agree to their findings when i don't?
Just cross out any offensive phrases and sign. What are the terms & conditions? You find them objectionable?

You union? If at will, they can fire you for almost any reason.

You are agreeing to its terms & conditions, not its purported findings. You may be able to give your HR dept. a correction to your personnel file letter if you really feel that strongly about it (unless your state law prohibits this activity) .... remember, unless you are under a contract they can fire you for almost anything

eerelations

But they can legally fire him for refusing to sign. This goes for both the US and Canada (although in Canada the OP may be owed a small amount of termination pay).

startedone, how did a union get into this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What "terms and conditions" do you find problematic? It's hard to address without knowing what it says, but the part you are agreeing to is the part that says what you have to do now and what will happen if you do it again.

If the difficulty is that you don't agree that what you did was wrong, that's not what you're agreeing to. You're agreeing that you know you have to do x or not do x in the future and that you can be further disciplined/fired if you do it again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">