• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental anguish

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mourninglight

Working in Oregon, which is an at-will employment state. I worked for a company for over 6 years. In that time I got promoted 4 times to be only one person below the top. During this time, I took on added responsiblities and slightly upgraded my appearance as necessary. My first few months in the highest postion was great, I was doing everything wonderfully and got rave reviews. I began having some health probelms, which restricted some of my work abilities, like lifting, which was really not a part of my job anymore since I worked in an office. I did not discuss what was going on with any of my co-workers, as I keep my personal life to myself, I just gave them the doctors note. Then they began complaining about ALL of my work, and gave me a very ridiculous write up addressing my makeup, clothes, facebook page, and even my hours (I had just worked 22 days straight, most of them being at least 12 hours). All of these things had been the same the entire time I worked for this company. Then I believe that they started getting into my work and making it wrong, very wrong, so wrong no one person could make that many mistakes. I was being ignored and any time I was addressed it was very short. I started getting a very sever anxiety disorder, making me take 2 Xanax just to get to work. I am not like this. My doctor ordered me to take time off for mental time, and said if they had a problem with it to call him. They said they had no problem, assured me my job was safe. A month later I was let go. They said I cared too much about the people we were in business to take care of....now I am in a severe depression, 6 months after being fired, on unemployment, so I make to much to qualify for low income health care, and have tons of debt I am trying to pay off and can't afford to to see a physician. Can I sue them at least for health care, since I and my doctor believe that they led me to this point? There is a whole bunch more I didn't mention, including making me move!

pattytx

No, you can't sue for "mental anguish". A Worker's Comp case for stress is even a long shot. If you file a Work Comp claim, expect your personal life to be scrutinized as well, as the employer will try to show that other factors played a part in your current medical or psychological problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">