• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental health records and employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jahlise_chard@y

I live in Pennsylvania and was in and out of the foster care system. A lot of times it seems that kids in the system end up being forced into unnecessary mental health treatment. I unfortunately was hospitalized numerous times... but I am far from mentally ill. Currently I am in college and wondering about careers. I'm thinking about foreign relations and government jobs but I am terrified that my degree would be wasted if those records were held against me. Since I was under 18 at the time of those incidents... can people look at the records and not hire me based on them?

Beth3

Your medical records are completely protected by law. Nobody can access them without your express written permission.

Pursue your deams and good luck to you. :)

Beth3

True - but even the government can't access those with out the OP's written consent (which of course the OP would have to provide as part of a security check.) I think the OP is particularly concerned that employers have some means of getting "behind the scenes" access to those - they don't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">