• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minimum hours off between shifts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raecharly

This is a question about New York state/city laws (city laws may be different from state laws, I don't know).

I don't know if this is even the right place to post this, but...

Is there a minimum number of hours people are supposed to have off between shifts? My friend works at Starbucks. When they close, they get out at 11:15 p.m. (supposed to--often later than that). When they open, they have to be at work at 5:15 a.m. The manager often schedules people to close one night and open the next, which means on paper they have six hours off between shifts, but in reality is less than that. These shifts are usually 6-8 hours long.

Is this legal? I hardly see how it is--seems like (especially in labor-law-heavy NYC), people would be gauranteed at least 8 hours off between shifts.

Anyone who knows or can direct me where to look, I appreciate your help!
x-posted to a couple of forums.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
With a couple of industry-specific exceptions such as truck drivers and pilots, there is no minimum number of hours between shifts mandated by law. It is perfectly legal for someone to be scheduled to close one night and open the next morning.

Please do not post multiple times. The same people respond to all the employment law forums; you aren't going to get more or different responses by posting more than once.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">