• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minimum qualifications & equal opportunity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joesmith

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I am a tenured faculty member at an Illinois public college. For the last three weeks, I have been involved in a search for a new faculty member. We have interviewed several desirable, highly-qualified candidates who have been unanimously recommended for hire by the search committee. Despite careful screening, the committee interviewed a candidate who turned out to lack minimum qualifications. This candidate interviewed very well, and because of institutional priorities, some committee members and administrators would like to change the minimum qualifications so this person can be hired. If the minimum qualifications are indeed changed, must the college, as an equal opportunity employer, reopen the search?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless there is an Illinois state statute making such a requirement for public institutions, no.

However, you may want to consider doing so anyway, for your own benefit.

Consider the following scenario:

Mary, who has the original qualifications, was not hired.

Jack, who has the original qualifications and is a minority, was not hired.

You change the qualifications in order to hire John.

What defense will you have when Mary claims gender discrimination? When Jack claims racial or national origin discrimination?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">