• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor for a bounced check???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apink

What is the name of your state? California

Will a misdemeanor for a bounced check EVER come off my background check@! I admit I made the mistake however it has ended up costing me my chances of my dream job!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The simple answer to your question is, no. Convictions do not automatically drop off your record after x number of years the way credit problems do. They are with you forever.

You can see about having the record expunged, but even that is no guarantee that it will never show up on a thorough background check.

Without knowing anything more about the situation than I do, understanding that I could be entirely wrong and absolutely meaning no offense, I'm going to take a couple of guesses and offer some advice based on those guesses. If my guesses are wrong, I apologize in advance. You are free to take the advice or not as you please. It applies even if I am wrong.

I am guessing that you assumed that (a) employers are prohibited from going back further than (it's usually 7 but sometimes 10) years or (b) you assumed that after x amount of time (again usually 7 years) the conviction just went away. Based on whichever of those assumptions you held, you either neglected to mention or out and out lied about (probably the first) the conviction either in the interview or on the application. You lost the job not because of the conviction, but because you failed to disclose it.

(I could be wrong. There could be something about the particular job you were looking for that made the conviction a factor. But most employers will not care about a conviction for a bounced check. Everyone's bounced a check or two on occasion.)

My advice is that in future, you treat any questions that relate to this misdeamenor quite literally. In answering such questions, many people assume that "have you ever..." means "have you, in the last 5-7-10-whatever years". It does not. Ever means ever. If the employer means 7 years, they will say 7 years.

You do not need to volunteer any information that is not asked for. But you should treat questions about convictions absolutely literally. Do not assume that it means anything other than it says on the surface. If the question specifically says, within the last 5 years, and your conviction was 7 years ago, you can truthfully answer no. But if it says, ever, that means ever. This is the point that most people get themselves into trouble over.

Again, if I'm guessing wrong, I apologize, and I mean no offense, just helpful advice from one who has conducted many a reference check and hired many people. Good luck to you.

apink

Yes I did think that it went away..I guess it comes with the age and not knowing much about the law. I was fired last night from the job and was told that I had to sign a paper for my termination that stated that I "Couldnt perform my job" However after 2 weeks of working there and getting many compliments on how I did on the job itself I think I shown that I was capable of doing the tasks. If I wouldnt have called and asked about my background check I dont know who would have noticed it since I had been working there for that time. Thank you for your advice and time!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">