• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

misdemeanor and employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

golfergirl17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I plead guilty of a misdemeanor for driving w a suspended license from another state-and now I'm starting to feel like I'm stupid for being too honest and not hiring a lawyer or at least getting legal advice. I took care of my suspended license from my other state I lived in before I went to court, which was this past Monday (7th) and no longer have a suspended license and now have a valid FL license.
After researching online, I read that if I wouldn't have plead guilty, I could have possibly gotten my record sealed or expunged (here's where feeling incredibly stupid comes into play).
How is this going to affect my getting a new job? I have been trying to get a job in a hospital and waiting to get in the nursing program at the local college so I can become a rn. Has anyone else had this type of situation before?
I didn't get arrested when the officer pulled me over (didn't kill anyone or get into an accident with anyone) and am paying a fine and didn't have jail time or probation either; I did get fingerprinted only. I realize I have made a mistake and took responsibility for my mistake by owing up to it, and because it's my first (and hoping very much my only offense) and it's criminal related, what should I do? Should I try and forget about my nursing career and focus on something else?
I have worked in a bank before so I was already bonded and am a trustworthy employee. I was in a bad place when this happened, but I am working to turn my life around. I feel like I messed up my life with this one very bad choice and I don't want to have to pay for it forever (although I know this is going to be on my record forever).
I need some advice please on what to do!!! I'm stressed out about this! Thanks for your help!

swalsh411

This isn't really a legal question. There is no law that says you must disclose this to a potential employer. If you don't, and they find out, they could legally fire you. It all depends on how thorough of a background check they do.

cetiya

i wouldnt panic if i were you. i've seen nurses get hired who had stealing prescription drugs on their record. i work in a hospital and i have a negligent driving on mine. they are mostly concerned about any patient abuse,child abuse or elderly abuse pasts.

NEP12

I would say it depends on the nature of employment. My experience isn't in health care, but it seems like a nurse isn't the type of position that such a conviction would impact employment. Generally, employers should weight the nature and responsibilities of the position, type of conviction, time that has passed since conviction etc. when making decisions to disqualify someone from employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">