• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mislead, Wrongful Termination Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phatrider

Massachusetts: I was hired on April 27th as an outside sales manager and was told by the CEO prior to leaving my last job that the company was financially strong. I spent the first 3-4 weeks in training, learning the industry and getting to a point where I was ready to develop business. Long story short, I found out on July 22nd that they were going to let me go on July 31st. I even asked the CEO prior to joining the company if 3 months was a realistic time period for someone to learn the business and develop enough business to start hitting quotas - she said absolutely. Come to find out that only 2 of 7 sales managers (all with 8+ years industry experience) were meeting their numbers. I am not being offered a severance package and was wondering if this is something worth persuing? My quoting numbers were good, I volunteered as often as i could to help out where ever needed, I did everything I could to put myself in a situation where I wouldnt get let go - and they're letting me go... I feel completely mistreated and mislead and everyone at the company is telling me that I never even got a fair chance to succeed. Thanks for your help...

Last edited:

Beth3

I'm afraid that not allowing you time to get up to speed and succeed isn't illegal. Failing to invest the necessary time in new employees to allow them to be successful is only a very poor business decision.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Massachusetts: I was hired on April 27th as an outside sales manager and was told by the CEO prior to leaving my last job that the company was financially strong. I spent the first 3-4 weeks in training, learning the industry and getting to a point where I was ready to develop business. Long story short, I found out on July 22nd that they were going to let me go on July 31st. I even asked the CEO prior to joining the company if 3 months was a realistic time period for someone to learn the business and develop enough business to start hitting quotas - she said absolutely. Come to find out that only 2 of 7 sales managers (all with 8+ years industry experience) were meeting their numbers. I am not being offered a severance package and was wondering if this is something worth persuing? My quoting numbers were good, I volunteered as often as i could to help out where ever needed, I did everything I could to put myself in a situation where I wouldnt get let go - and they're letting me go... I feel completely mistreated and mislead and everyone at the company is telling me that I never even got a fair chance to succeed. Thanks for your help...
The employer is free to terminate your employment. They are not required to offer any sort of severance. I suggest you file for unemployment upon your termination.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although MA is one of those very few states where, under some circumstances, severance is required by law, this is not one of those circumstances. I agree with the others; this may be a poor business decision, but it is not a wrongful termination under the law.

FYI, a wrongful term does not mean that you were fired unfairly. It means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law.

phatrider

Even though the reason I'm being let go is because the company has been operating in the red for nearly a year and yet, they told me that they were financially secure? I was deceived to come over and used as a last chance to increase sales. i understand that it may not be illegal but its surely not right... thanks for your help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can talk to a lawyer about a detrimental reliance claim but that's a long shot and about the only shot you've got.

las365

And, relevant to a potential detrimental reliance claim, what were the circumstances under which you applied with the employer? Were you looking for another job and found them? Did they recruit you and lure you away from a job that you were not already considering leaving?

Hot Topic

Nobody these days is in a position where they "can't" be let go. Or, as the expression goes, "Last hired, first fired."

phatrider

Response to las365: I had a full time position with another company whom I was with for 2+ years and had 7 years of experience in that industry. This new position was a completely new industry for me and during the recruitment process, they told me that they'd give me ample time to learn the business, that they didn't expect me to come in right away and blow the numbers out, and that the company was financially secure - all things proved to be lies. i understand now that the termination wasnt illegal with MA being an at-will state, but is okay for them to intentially decieve me during the interview/recruiting process with the intent to lure me away from a steady job and then not following thru on promises made? I have a voicemail from another employee who said he spoke with the CEO and she agreed that I didnt get a fair shake or enough time. During the 3 months of employment and after realizing the financial shape of the company, I offered to take a pay cut bc i realized that i was the last guy hired and would be the first guy fired. Her response was "lets cross that bridge when we get there." By the way, thanks for everyones help on this.

las365

Maybe you misunderstood the question I posed. I wasn't asking about what happened during the interview process.

How did it come about that you applied with the company?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">