• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mismanagement -- exit strategy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joesanchez

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I work at large call center. Management can't seem to find out a way to get three hundred people out of the company at quitting time.

We pass through a small door and enter room, where we sign out on sheets tapped on the wall. We don't write our names in. We just right the time in.

Sometimes the sheets are not in alphabetical order.

It takes nearly twenty minutes for three hundred people to sign out. We often miss our trains and buses to go home.

If we don't sign in and out each day we lose our "attendance bonus", which for many employees represents a thousand dollars.
(We are marked absence)

If we complain in the company they ask us to leave.

My question is how do I go about remedying the situation? Do I call labor standards? The Fire Marshall's office hasn't been helpful so far. I keeping trying them, saying the office is crowded, queues too close together, little aisle space.

Don't know what to do? What recourse would assist me?

Beth3

You can't force the employer to change their procedures for signing in and out. It's their perogative to determine the process, even if it's less than expedient. The time spent in que quite possibly is compensible time so if you're not being paid for that time, you may call your State's wage and hour division and inquire about that.

Another option, rather than just complaining about the sign-out process, is to suggest an alternative to the employer that achieves the same results but in a more efficient manner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">