• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mississippi Employee Rights?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

toujours2

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I have a question....I work for a large company and they often put us on mandatory overtime. Not only that, (which I know is not illegal---besides I love the money) we are scheduled to work 10 and 12 hour shifts with no breaks and no lunches. We have to raise our hand and get permission to use the bathroom. I wanted to know if that is legal. They tell us that Mississippi has no laws requiring breaks and lunches that they are given out at the discreetion of the company....What is the truth?

Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

toujours2 said:
What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I have a question....I work for a large company and they often put us on mandatory overtime. Not only that, (which I know is not illegal---besides I love the money) we are scheduled to work 10 and 12 hour shifts with no breaks and no lunches. We have to raise our hand and get permission to use the bathroom. I wanted to know if that is legal. They tell us that Mississippi has no laws requiring breaks and lunches that they are given out at the discreetion of the company....What is the truth?

Thanks!

My response:

You said - -

"We have to raise our hand and get permission to use the bathroom. I wanted to know if that is legal."

What, raising your hand?

Where the hell do you work? I get visions of row after row of tables and benches with about 80 women in a warehouse style building, putting widgets together.

Sure, time and a half of $5.65 per hour is terrific money! Yeah, it's Miller Time!

Do you work in a sweatshop?

IAAL

T

toujours2

Its a call center.....they require a lot from us. we are broken down into teams and have a supervisor that monitors us. He sits at the end of the row like a guard. They try to be nice to us.....but they will be quick to throw it in your face that you can be easily replaced....the employee turnover is enormous. It is one of the highest paying jobs in our area, but they are like slave masters. Its funny what you said.....but man, it rings kind of true. I just wanted to know can they make us not take a break or lunch, especially if we work overtime.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

toujours2 said:
Its a call center.....they require a lot from us. we are broken down into teams and have a supervisor that monitors us. He sits at the end of the row like a guard. They try to be nice to us.....but they will be quick to throw it in your face that you can be easily replaced....the employee turnover is enormous. It is one of the highest paying jobs in our area, but they are like slave masters. Its funny what you said.....but man, it rings kind of true. I just wanted to know can they make us not take a break or lunch, especially if we work overtime.

My response:

Now, I've got a different vision of your working environment.

Yours is very similar to a Roman slave ship, with the slaves rowing, and a big, fat "Task Master" beating a large drum for rhythm, and a "Boss" cracking a whip as he walks down the center aisle of the ship.

Would you please quit that job?

Did you go to college to do that?

Oh, please. Save yourself.

IAAL

T

toujours2

Ridiculous huh.....went to college for psychology and presently studying for my masters.....I look at them sometimes and smile a sinister smile...one day I will be better than them, one day I will be working for myself. But what the heck about the meantime! I gotta work to eat and man looking for a job around here is like looking for possum in Los Angelos.

C

coosi

Glad to hear you're furthering Your education. (Hope it's not psychology:D )

I thought about suggest college, but was afraid it would sound too callous:D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

toujours2 said:
Ridiculous huh.....went to college for psychology and presently studying for my masters.....I look at them sometimes and smile a sinister smile...one day I will be better than them, one day I will be working for myself. But what the heck about the meantime! I gotta work to eat and man looking for a job around here is like looking for possum in Los Angelos.

My response:

Then you haven't been to Los Angeles. Look in any Palm tree, and you'll find a possum nest. Mmmmmm. Them's good eatin'!

Look, here's the reality for you - - just get the hell out. Missouri or Mississippi (whatever the hell State you said you're in) is still 100 or more years behind. Lincoln freed the slaves. They still believe in slave labor - - and guess what you are?

Pack your bags, and get the hell out of Dodge. Work in a "real" State, will you? And, I don't mean in the South or Midwest.

That's the answer you need - - not whether it's legal for you to raise your hand to take a crap! Next time, take your pants off, and piss on your boss' lap.

Doesn't this all sound extremely ridiculous and stupid to you now that you read it in print?

Just quit.

IAAL

T

toujours2

Does sound pretty stupid huh?! I plan on quitting, but gotta secure another job first...just sent resume off and just waiting.

Thanks for making me laugh and see how stupid and ridiculous this crap is!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

toujours2 said:
Does sound pretty stupid huh?! I plan on quitting, but gotta secure another job first...just sent resume off and just waiting.

Thanks for making me laugh and see how stupid and ridiculous this crap is!

My response:

Look - - stop fooling yourself! Any employer you work for in your State, or in the surrounding States, have the same mentality as your current employer. You need to GET OUT - - leave - - get OUT OF DODGE CITY!

Borrow a couple thousand from a friend or the bank. Pack your bag, leave everything behind (you don't need your microwave or your toaster) and get in your car and don't stop until you hit California!

Do you have any idea how many West Coast employers are DYING for employees with your degrees and education? Think of working in a Chiropractor's office. Big bucks! I mean, there's so much more!

Get the hell out NOW and leave Billy Joe Bob behind. And, I'll let you take a piss any damn time you want to.

IAAL

C

coosi

Get the hell out NOW and leave Billy Joe Bob behind. And, I'll let you take a piss any damn time you want to."

Gee, IAAL, are you offering him a job?? That's so civil...
;)

T

toujours2

Heyyyyyyy....I'm a girl, 100% :)

I see myself standing on the plank, arms tied behind my back. I arch my back against cold metal sharpness and close my eyes. I smell the sea water...I hear the waves splashing against the sides of the ship. Shouting all around me, the cool salty air is comfort to my nostrils as they slow in their flaring. "Yargh, It be down the plank fer yar!" I open my eyes and I am greeted with the brightness of the sun. I lean forward and take a deep breath" Gladly!," I shout, "But at least I'm FREE!!!" I leap towards the sun and smile as I land in the ocean of freedom.

I would give anything to go on a "road trip", you guys can only imagine how it feels to be trapped in this barb wire cage of a state.....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To get back to the business at hand...

The truth is that your employers are correct; neither Federal nor Mississippi law requires breaks of any kind. It is entirely up to the employer whether to allow breaks and if so, for how long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">