• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom got fired because of medical problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ckbaby

I live in Washington. My question is can a company fire you when you have been under a physicians care for being sick? My mom was missing a lot of time from her job of 20 years with a major company. And they knew she was under the supervision of a physician. Every time she missed work or had to take a leave of abscense from work it was allways cleared through work and the doctor. She has been hospitalized 9 times in 2 1/2 years. Anyways they fired her because they said she missed to much work. Can they do that? Can she go back and sue them now. Because of losing her job she has lost her home of 25 years.

[This message has been edited by ckbaby (edited October 24, 2000).]

ALawyer

This is sad.

If her employer is subject to the Americans with Disabilities Act, or a similar state law, they had a duty to try to make "reasonable accomodation" to her illness. If they did not, there may be grounds for suit under the ADA. But illness does not create a right to lifetime employment.

Is she entitled to any disability benefits? Social security disability kicks in if she can not work at all? And make sure she COBRAs her health insurance.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

C

ckbaby

She is only 52 and she is now applying for social security benefits. But her sickness is very hard to explain as no doctor has diagnosed her with a condition. What ever it is she just continually is sick. It is a digestive disorder we can figure that much. She was fired from her job in July of last year. She worked for Boeings. It just doesn't seem right that after almost 22 years of service that they treated her that way when she needed them to most they just kicked her to the side. They did nothing to try to accomodate her in any way. They just continued to let her work around hazardes chemicals and she just got sicker and sicker. So, I am trying to convince her right now to sue them asap. And to collect her retirement from them. Thanks for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">