• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Monetary compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uglydork

What is the name of your state? NY

On the advice of a person on this forum I got an attorney for being terminated. I filed with the EEOC and they agreed and found the company guilty with wrongful termination.
My attorney is taking 40%. Any ideas of how much this kind of case brings in? I cant ever reach my attorney to ask him. I just want a ballpark figure of what these cases usually settle for.

Beth3

Only a lawyer intimiately familiar with the particulars of your claim and familiar with judgements and settlements of similar claims can offer a valid opinion. Additionally, the size of the company and their financial picture will have significant bearing as well.

Your best option is to keep trying to get hold of your attorney.

S

Sinsaint26

Your attorney may not even give you this information. Attorneys do not like to give a client even an estimated figure as new facts could come to light that may alter the outcome and no attorney wants to hear "but you said my case was easily worth......". I have never heard of any attorney that would tell a client how much money they could expect. You can however look up state and federal cases with similar discrimination aspects and get a general idea. Some law firms also have case descriptions with settlements or verdicts. You can do a google search on discrimination lawsuits, settlements, verdicts..... whatever. But like I said, you will only be able to get a general idea from these figures. You should also study up on the tax implications of any settlement or verdict as well. Here is a hint, your lawyer and the government will walk away with more money than you so don't be overly optimistic.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">