• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money missing from cash register

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmarley

What is the name of your state? California
Hi,
My daughter is fretting about money missing from her register at her workplace (chain restaurant). Her drawer has been short exactly $100 twice in the last few days. She is supposed to be the only user of the register during her shift but her "card key" has to stay in the register even while she is on break or if she goes to seat a customer. Also, it concerns me that the manager counts my daughter's drawer in a closed room by herself while the employees are closing down for the night. She is worried that she is going to get fired, but her boss has not told her that yet. The general manager is going to review the register tape/computer record today. What should she do?
Thanks! Mom

Beth3

She should wait and see what happens. If they fire her because they suspect her of stealing, that would not be unlawful even if they are completely mistaken.

Do they have cameras? Maybe your daughter can ask to be present when her till is counted. Otherwise sadly enough....she can be legally fired....unfair :mad: , but legal.

****This brought of memories of when I was a teen working at Mickey D's. My drawer used to come up short....I found out a co-worker was in my drawer when I would go on break/lunch. One day I sent the manager to my drawer while the snake of a co-worker was IN MY DRAWER!!!! :mad: Needless to say she was fired!!!!****

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">