• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moonlighting risk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UserNameHere123

California- Am I at risk for working under the table so to speak. I was contacted by a doctor that my current company used to do work for. The doctor is now starting his own practice and would like me to help set his computer network. I would like to help him but I'm not sure what the risks are if any. I have written out a contract in a form of an email to protect myself in case he is unsatisfied with the work and wants to retaliate by informing my current employer. I would like to post the email\contract and get an opinions.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

California- Am I at risk for working under the table so to speak. I was contacted by a doctor that my current company used to do work for. The doctor is now starting his own practice and would like me to help set his computer network. I would like to help him but I'm not sure what the risks are if any. I have written out a contract in a form of an email to protect myself in case he is unsatisfied with the work and wants to retaliate by informing my current employer. I would like to post the email\contract and get an opinions.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Does your current employer have a policy about accepting outside work?

commentator

I suspect your current employer would mind very strongly, as your company used to have the contract to do work for this person, and now he wants to hire just you, on the side, under the table, on the cheap. Naturally, if your current employer finds out about this, you are fired, rightfully so, I'd say.

So ask yourself, is it worth it? Just remember, they'll have this to hold over you whether or not they pay you, whether or not you do a good or wonderful job, all they have to do is pick up that phone, and you're busted. Really, I'd pass on it, unless you don't really want your day job anyway.

UserNameHere123

No my current employer is a small contractor business. There is no hand book of any kind so no policy was ever discussed or agreed to.

Here is a better explanation of the situation.

The doctor was with Clinic A.
The doctor left Clinic A to start Clinic B.
The doctor personally contacted me as friend to do some work for Clinic B.

My day job lost the Clinic A contract over a year ago.
Clinic A is moving to another larger facility and has their own IT department.
Since the doctor doesn't associate with clinic A i thought it might be okay.

eerelations

Your day job may legally fire you for taking this work. Determining whether or not your day job actually will fire you for taking this work is a matter for someone with psychic abilities. Most of us here don't possess those skills.

W

Willlyjo

No my current employer is a small contractor business. There is no hand book of any kind so no policy was ever discussed or agreed to.

Here is a better explanation of the situation.

The doctor was with Clinic A.
The doctor left Clinic A to start Clinic B.
The doctor personally contacted me as friend to do some work for Clinic B.

My day job lost the Clinic A contract over a year ago.
Clinic A is moving to another larger facility and has their own IT department.
Since the doctor doesn't associate with clinic A i thought it might be okay.
Based on this, it is highly unlikely you'd get terminated or that your employer would even find out you are helping out Clinic B. You are taking a risk in that your current employer could find out and decide to terminate you. They could find out and disregard it as well. It's up to you to decide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">