• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My boss terminated his relationship with my friend then terminated ME

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DizzyMe

I apologise if this is a bit long, it is slightly complicated.

I was fired one week ago. i went to work to check my schedule and my name was no longer on it. My manager has yet to explain to me why I was fired. He said it was the district managers doing, but he doesn't know why she fired me. the district manager is the managers mother. the manager WAS my best friends boyfriend. He fired me the day he broke up with her.

I am 22 years old, so this isn't some little 'high school' scwabble. last week I asked them to have a written statement telling me why i was fired ready for me when I came to pick up my paycheck, since no one seems to want to tell me why i was fired. the district manager said "sure" yet when i went to pick up my paycheck there was no statement anywhere to be found. my manager STILL wouldn't tell me why i was fired he just said i would have to ask her.

Three days before I was fired i asked the manager how I was doing and if I needed to be doing anything differently. he said "I reckon you're doing fine" (this is in Kentucky by the way) Yet three days later my job was terminated?

I worked nine hour shifts everyday i was there with no break at all. I had to work over at least fifteen minutes everyday because second shift was always late. I was friendly to the customers which in my opinion is one of the most important parts.

It has been suggested to me that i call the Human Rights commission. Is this a good idea? i only worked at the job for two weeks and I know there is a law that states with in a 90 day period they can fire you for just about anything...but what should i do to let these people know I am not going to play the fool?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're not going to like this. Neither Federal nor Kentucky law requires them to give you a reason why you were fired.

Kentucky is an at will state. Regardless of whether you are in the first 90 days of employment or not, you can be fired for any reason or no reason, just as you can quit for any reason or no reason. You only cannot be fired for an illegal reason.

An illegal reason is defined as: Firing BECAUSE of your age (over 40 - not applicable in your case) race, gender, national origin, religion, disability or pregnancy; BECAUSE you applied for a protected benefit such as FMLA or workers comp; BECAUSE you reported illegal activity to the appropriage outside agency.

It is highly unlikely that you were fired for an illegal discriminatory reason after only two weeks. After all, they knew your race, gender, etc. when they hired you two weeks ago; it's not like that was going to change. You have given no indication in your post of anything that would trigger the other illegal reasons.

That being the case, there is nothing illegal about your firing and they don't have to give you a reason. It's not the way I'd run my company, but no laws have been broken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">