• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My company refuses to return my personal properties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZCode

New York State:

My company accused me of proprietary information from them and took my personal (I purchased myself and not owned by them) hard-drives for their investigation. They gave me a replacement of the hard-drives. They fired me anyways and refused to give the original hard-drives back. How do I get my hard-drives back? They contain my personal information. Do I have to go to court?

Antigone*

New York State:

My company accused me of proprietary information from them and took my personal (I purchased myself and not owned by them) hard-drives for their investigation. They gave me a replacement of the hard-drives. They fired me anyways and refused to give the original hard-drives back. How do I get my hard-drives back? They contain my personal information. Do I have to go to court?
You took the replacements. You have been made whole.

sandyclaus

New York State:

It will be difficult to get back the original hard drives, especially if they contained proprietary information that you had without their authorization.

If the personal information was of particular importance, then you should have had it backed up properly. If you were storing personal information while at work, that is especially true - even if the drives themselves belonged to you - because you clearly were co-mingling your personal and work information, which is always a bad idea in a work setting.

Consider yourself lucky that you got replacements for the hard drives themselves. For all intents and purposes, the original drives are probably gone.

ZCode

It will be difficult to get back the original hard drives, especially if they contained proprietary information that you had without their authorization.

If the personal information was of particular importance, then you should have had it backed up properly. If you were storing personal information while at work, that is especially true - even if the drives themselves belonged to you - because you clearly were co-mingling your personal and work information, which is always a bad idea in a work setting.

Consider yourself lucky that you got replacements for the hard drives themselves. For all intents and purposes, the original drives are probably gone.

They do not contain proprietary information. I did not download those information (otherwise why would I give them my hard-drives).

What I am concerned of is whether my personal information would leak out, such as my SSN, my tax returns, etc.

Antigone*

They do not contain proprietary information. I did not download those information (otherwise why would I give them my hard-drives).

What I am concerned of is whether my personal information would leak out, such as my SSN, my tax returns, etc.
What kind of person would keep financially sensitive information of that nature on a flash drive:eek::confused:

justalayman

they already have all that info. If they were going to leak it, they could even without the HDDs.

and since you are only worrying about the info leaking, ask them to destroy the drives once they are doing with the forensic investigation.

eerelations

You shouldn't have accepted the replacement hard drives. If you want the originals back, you need to first return the replacements, and then sue the company for the originals in small claims court.

You Are Guilty

You shouldn't have accepted the replacement hard drives. If you want the originals back, you need to first return the replacements, and then sue the company for the originals in small claims court.
NY small claims court does not have equitable powers. The lowest court that does is Supreme, which costs $305 just to file the complaint.

How much do hard drives cost?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">