• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My employer fired me and wont pay me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trac31

I am in south California. I got fired 3 days ago I called for my last paycheck and they told me it would be issued on the next pay day the 25th. Can they make me wait that long?
Also is there penalties for them not paying me.
Thanks for the help.
Trac

L

loku

Pay unpon termination

Your employer seems to be in violation of the law as you can see in the pertinent part of the following sections of the California Labor Code

Labor Code Sec. 201. If an employer discharges an employee, the wages earned and
unpaid at the time of discharge are due and payable immediately.

Labor Code Sec. 203. If an employer willfully fails to pay … in accordance with Sections 201 … any wages of an employee who is discharged…, the wages of the employee shall continue as a penalty from the due date thereof at the same rate until paid or until an action therefor is commenced, but the wages shall not continue for more than 30 days.

The agency to report this to follows:

California Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
2424 Arden Way, Suite 360
Sacramento, CA 95825
Tel: (916) 323-4920

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">