• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My employer physically assaulted me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ShaolinSmoke

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas I am a 29 year old single mother of two. I have been employed as a bartender for about 7 years at the same location. About 4 years ago the club underwent new management. It just so happened to be a dirty old man that I had previous experience with at my first job in this industry. He began making inappropriate comments. I rejected him. He fired me. This happened about four times. Now I know I'm might seem stupid for going back to work at this club but being uneducated and having two kids, I don't have alot of options for making this kind of money. I've just been letting him get away with harassing me for
Fear of being terminated again. I had a pretty bad car accident two days ago. He insisted on picking me up from the
Hospital. I pretended to sleep the whole ride. I guess he thought because of the pain medication they had me on that he could get away with trying to touch me. I told him to pull the
Car over immediately. He
Refused. I threatened to press charges on him and them he started screaming at me
That I'm a crazy b$&@* and no one would believe me and that I'm fired. Then he grabbed my arm and wouldn't let me go. I flung the car door opened screaming for him to let me out. While we were on the side of the road he twisted my arm back and STILL wouldn't let me go. I have serious injuries to my chest due to the
Accident already. He finally let me go when 2 cars pulled over to see what was
Going on. I have bruises up and down my arm from him and my chest is hurting worse
Than before. I have the names and numbers of the witnesses. I don't know what I should do.
what to do

pattytx

Did you file a police report?

Did you ever, ever report any of these inappropriate comments and touching to the big boss/owner?

How many employees does this employer have? At least 15?

When did you go back to work at this place?

Beth3

If you haven't already, contact your local police immediately to file a criminal complaint. Be sure to give them names and contact info for the witnesses.

When you recover from your injuries, start looking for a new job. You should also file for unemployment benefits, stating you were "constructively discharged" (i.e. you quit for "good cause") due to the on-going harassment and the physical assault that occurred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">