• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is my employer responsible for personal belongings?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

out a bundle

I was fired from my job as a truck driver unjustly. There's no question about the unjust part, but I was not told that I was being laid-off/fired until my truck was sent back out with another driver. I tried on several different occassions to retrieve my personal belongings from the truck. The owner of the company would give me a date and time to be there. I would show up, and there would be no truck there. He finally said that the stuff was not in the truck any more and accused me of taking it out. However, I had already gotten another job and was out of town at the time. Now, I am out over $1500 in personal belongings that were in the truck. I have told him that I will sue him in small claims court, but he says that he was not responsible for my belongings. However, he did not give me any opportunity to remove them myself. Is there anything I can do before I waste time and money on a law suit? I don't mind taking him to court, but only if it will actually accomplish something. This happened in Mississippi.

ALawyer

It sounds as if their was a taking by them of your property - a conversion -- TAKE HIM TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT -- BUT IF THE FIRING WAS UNJUSTIFIED AND YOU HAVE A CLAIM, you may want to speak to a lawyer first about the unjust dismissal as suing in small claims court can end your right to sue for other things.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">