• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My former employer owes me money!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Honniegal

How can I get the pay my former employer owes me for the last week I worked. He closed the cart I used to work at and also said that we would get a bonus for staying with him till the last day, which I did. The problem is that he picked up and left town. He is from MN, and opened this business in NJ. He then closed and disappeared. I spoke to him once and he said it was so strange that I didn't get my checks, but that was the last time I heard from him. I called and called, left messages, until today when I called and the phone is shut of for lack of paying the bill or something. I have contacted the Labor Board, but they can't do anything unless they can serve him a summons, but he is not in his office anymore.
I worked for him for a few months and have seen first hand the horrible businiss practices he employs. He doesn't return even the customers money when they make a return. I am worried that I will never get the money he owes me, and if I do get a check, I am afraid it will be bad. Help!!

ALawyer

The Labor Board is the place to go. You could also sue in small claims court, but as you said, if he's a bad person, you may be out of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">