• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Former Employer Taxed Me For Hours I Did Not Work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sugabebe

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

On Sept. 8, 2005 I became sick on the job and I had to go to the emergency room at around 2pm. I stayed in the hospital for the next 7 days. Basically, I agreed with my employer that I would need to rest and not go back to work for a while. 2 weeks later i recieved a paycheck for the days after I became sick. My former employer gave me a 'fake' paycheck so that he could tax me on wages that do not exist. On the paycheck it rounds up that I worked 80 hours and it had my wages on there with all the tax deductions that you regularly see on a paycheck. However, I never worked those hours at all! the paycheck period was between 09/10- 09/28. The exact dates are not accurate but its still wrong to claim that I have income that I never received. That paycheck was not cashable because there was no money in there. So I was taxed for wages that I didn't make. This really affected me because it looked like my income increased but in actuality my income decreased because I never went back to work. Now, I'm having problems with food stamps because of that particular paycheck stub. They discontinued my food stamps because my income looked like it increased. When I asked the employer he told me not to worry about it becuase it wasn't a huge amount of tax deductions. HELP!!! I want to take legal action.

"You received a paycheck even though you were out sick So he paid you for your sick time. Is that correct?"

That's a good question, but the OP also said they couldn't cash the check. What did you mean by "'fake' paycheck " - that the account had no money, or the check was actually fake??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">