• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My HR Records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RiversandGems

What is the name of your state? California

Am I allowed to see my file in Human Resources? I would like to know what has been said about me. Can they deny me the right to view my file?

JETX

RiversandGems said:
What is the name of your state? California

Am I allowed to see my file in Human Resources? I would like to know what has been said about me. Can they deny me the right to view my file?
From the CA DLS website:
California law requires that employers allow employees and former employees access to their personnel files and records that relate to the employee’s performance or to any grievance concerning the employee. Labor Code Section 1198.5

Inspections must be allowed at reasonable times and intervals. To facilitate the inspection, employers must do one of the following: (1) keep a copy of each employee’s personnel records at the place where the employee reports to work, (2) make the personnel records available at the place where the employee reports to work within a reasonable amount of time following the employee’s request, or (3) permit the employee to inspect the records at the location where they are stored with no loss of compensation to the employee.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_RightToInspectPersonnelFiles.htm

W

workedtodeath

HR Records

I was told that according to Co. Policy, that we have to schedule an appointment with an HR person in Houston, Tx. to view our file. I work in Louisiana. I found out that one of our employees was able to look in my file when he was ask by our supervisor to pull my file (in our local office) and send it to our manager in another town. Isn't the file supposed to be confidential, and for management and employee only? How do I need to approach the issue of this person looking at my file? I know he looked at it because he told me in front of several other people some of the things that were in my file.

JETX

workedtodeath said:
I was told
Who cares??
You're hijacking someone elses thread. It is both rude (in diverting the post from them to you) and confusing (when you think a response is to you when it isn't).
Start your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">