• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband was fired and then my daughter, same company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mizmoxie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My husband was fired after four and a half years on the job (he is an HVAC tech) He had been working 70 hours a week. He is diabetic and one morning his blood count (sugar) was very high. He called his boss and asked for the day off. It was granted. We discussed his job and the hours and stress. After getting his blood sugar down he went and applied for another job. He went into work the next morning at 7:30. At 7:59 his boss called him in and fired him for "lying". He said he knew he wasn't sick and had interview at a competitor. My husband was denied his commission check (you have to be employed at 8 am on the 15th of the month to receive it even though it is earned the previous month. His unemployment benefits were denied because they said he broke company policy. That wasn't the reason he was given by his former boss for his termination. We felt his termination was due to the owner's daughter and son in aw being turned into CPS even though my husband didn't do it and the person who did admitted it.
Fast forward two months. My daughter who was the assistant office manager for the same company was terminated because the owner "felt it wasn't in his best interest to keep her". She was never written up (they have a write up policy and it isn't followed) she was never late and had not missed a day in all of the time she was employed there. She did her job as well as anyone's who was on vacation or out sick. She did her boss' job both times she was on maternity leave. She is a single mom supporting three children.

Banned_Princess

Your daughter can apply for unemployment,

Thats it, an employer can terminate employee's at will. Thats why it is called an "at will employment"

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Firing your husband because he called in sick and then went on a job interview was perfectly legal. What you "feel" the reason may have been is irrelevant.

Your daughter's situation may have been unfair but nothing you have posted suggests that it was illegal.

cyjeff

I know of very few employers that won't fire you for going on a job interview after calling in sick.

Unless you know an illegal reason for the daughter's termination that you haven't yet expressed, that wasn't illegal either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">