• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My most previous employer refuses to verify employment...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LAchick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was let go from my previous position due to not participating in office politics... I was a good and productive employee. It's been over 1 year since I was let go and since I've been a good candidate for employment with other companies but don't get hired because my previous employer refuses to verify employment with them. Due to this I have 5 years of employment I can not account for and it's my only experience in the industry. Is there any legal action I can take? I will never be able to obtain employment and my benefits are about to expire. Your advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
With extremely limited exceptions that apply ONLY if you were subject to DOT regulations and not always then, your employer has no legal obligation to verify employment. Sorry.

You might want to see if prospective employers will accept proof of employment by way of your W-2's or pay stubs; or if you can find someone in HR (who should be doing the verifications anyway) or a supervisor who can provide information for you.

Does the previous employer say that you were not employed or just refuses to say one way or the other?

An odd situation ~ I don't know if a cause of action would be available in any case ~ maybe others would chime in once the question is answered.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does the previous employer say that you were not employed or just refuses to say one way or the other?

An odd situation ~ I don't know if a cause of action would be available in any case ~ maybe others would chime in once the question is answered.
Of course, the question WAS answered. Do try to keep up and stop muddying the waters :rolleyes:

csi7

Have someone contact the former employer for employment verification so you can know exactly what is being said by the representative of the company. Make sure who ever calls gets the name, telephone number and extension, physical location of person contacted.

If the employer is refusing to verify past employment with the company is providing public service, uses taxpayer funding (either state or federal), or receiving credit for hiring veterans, disabled persons, then a complaint can be filed with the agency overseeing these areas.

If you are able to find a supervisor, HR person, CEO, or other senior management person willing to be a contact for employment verification, use that individual for your contact information source.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, I'm willing to learn. Please post a link to the laws that say that employers who are

providing public service, uses taxpayer funding (either state or federal), or receiving credit for hiring veterans, disabled persons,

are required by law to verify employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">