• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bud12

What is the name of your state? New York

I have worked part time since my hire date of 5/03. I have been told I must become full time 1/06. I advised my boss that I can not do this (due to child care issues) so I was told 12/31/05 would be my last day. They have said it is a business need that they need me full time (even though I have been doing a full workload in the 28 hours I work).
To add insult to injury, they have stated they will consider me resigned as of 12/31/05. I stated that I am being forced out, the separation is not my choice. They have changed the parameters of my employment which I can not accomodate. I am sure they are just trying to get out of paying unemployment.
Are they right in what they are saying? How do I fight this?

Beth3

If is the employer's perogative to determine staffing requirements, work schedules, job duties and so on. If they have mandated that you need to go full-time as of January 1st or else they will not have a job for you, they may do so. There is nothing you can do to fight this.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your employer can neither grant you unemployment nor deny it. That decision is made by the state. The most your employer can do is contest it, but whether you do or do not receive it will depend upon whether the exact circumstances of your termination qualify you for benefits under your state laws, which is something no one here can tell you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">