• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My roommate was threatened with getting fired for days---then was fired.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

z-dog

My roommate was threatened for days that if she told me anything about what was happening at work she would be fired. He told her that if he heard her on the phone with me she would be fired, if I would call her she would be fired. If we car pooled she would be fired. If she talked with other employees about me she would be fired. After about three days of this the boss fired her. He said it was not because she did a bad job, but because she was roommates with me. I was fired because the employer got ahold of my resume and cover letter. He did not like what I stated in it. They decreased my wages and I stated that. They told me there was no room for advancement in the company and I stated that. Does my roommate have any grounds against the employer? She lives in Nebraska.

D

D. D. Lessenberry

z-dog said:
My roommate was threatened for days that if she told me anything about what was happening at work she would be fired. He told her that if he heard her on the phone with me she would be fired, if I would call her she would be fired. If we car pooled she would be fired. If she talked with other employees about me she would be fired. After about three days of this the boss fired her. He said it was not because she did a bad job, but because she was roommates with me. I was fired because the employer got ahold of my resume and cover letter. He did not like what I stated in it. They decreased my wages and I stated that. They told me there was no room for advancement in the company and I stated that. Does my roommate have any grounds against the employer? She lives in Nebraska.
I assume you were fired first?

Employers have an awful wide variety of rights. Unless you are a member of a protected class, you can be fired for any reason or no reason.

I don't see any recourse for your roommate, but she could call your local/state employment regulatory agency to see if I'm wrong.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">