• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My supervisor wants to terminate my employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

k11

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I am a civil service employee, and I have a supervisor that insists on keeping a file on me, to compile enough information to use in firing me. I have asked to see the file, He is keeping on me, and He claims, He doesn't have to show it to me. In the past I have complained to the Personell Department about my supervisor's intimidating and violent management techniques (with no results), and I feel His latest threat to compile enough information to have me terminated, is probably retaliatory in nature, and I'm wondering what kind of rights I have in this state, concerning the freedom to view the information He is keeping on me, and what I could do with the information, if it was unjust or false.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

k11 said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa

I am a civil service employee, and I have a supervisor that insists on keeping a file on Me, to compile enough information to use in firing Me. I have asked to see the file, He is keeping on Me, and He claims, He doesn't have to show it to Me. In the past I have complained to the Personell Department about My supervisor's intimidating and violent management techniques (with no results), and I feel His latest threat to compile enough information to have Me terminated, is probably retaliatory in nature, and I'm wondering what kind of rights I have in this state, concerning the freedom to view the information He is keeping on Me, and what I could do with the information, if it was unjust or false.

My response:

Do any of the complaints have to do with your habit of capitalizing pronouns?

IAAL

JETX

k11 said:
I'm wondering what kind of rights I have in this state, concerning the freedom to view the information He is keeping on Me, and what I could do with the information, if it was unjust or false.
Are you talking to Me?? I'm talking to You. Are you talking to Me?? Why are you talking to Me??
Why Me??
And not You??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If this were your personnel file you would (in your state) have the right to see it and have a copy of it, but I'm by no means sure that this would qualify as a personnel file. I suggest you start by talking to someone in Human Resources.

JETX

cbg said:
If this were your personnel file you would (in your state) have the right to see it and have a copy of it, but I'm by no means sure that this would qualify as a personnel file. I suggest you start by talking to someone in Human Resources.
cbg.... you flunked the test. You forgot to phrase it in the form of all caps on pronouns!! :D

k11

You know, it looks as though everyone that posted to my question thinks checking my spelling is more important than offering intelligent advice, so I supppose, I will look elswhere than this forum and assume all of you with such renowned experience in writing have more important things to do with your time than being curteous to someone that came to you with a sincere problem. so kma
Kevin T.

k11

Reply to Cbq

Yes, I read Your post Cbg. I apologize that You feel my comment concerned You. It didn't. There were other posts that You may not have seen, that weren't as helpful as Your's. Thank You Cbg.

I have contacted my personnel department but they seem to be reluctanct to go any where near the issue. I am just wondering if I have any rights under Iowa law to demand disclosure of the information being compiled on me, and now I am wondering if I would have any legal reason to sue for intimidation or harrassment concerning this and past practice from this supervisor. I have already reported Him to His immediate supervisor and to the personnel department with no results. I hate to say it, but I think He has friends at all levels and this is exactly what they want. There is a Zero Tolerance policy in place within all departments too, but it seems to be ignored in this case.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As I said, in your state you have the right to see a personnel file, but it is questionable at best whether or not this qualifies as a personnel file. The fact that you are a civil service employee also complicates things, as sometimes the regulations vary in that case.

Your best bet, if you are not getting anywhere with internal sources, would be to talk to your state DOL and get their opinion.

P.S. You have not provided remotely enough information to even hazard a guess whether or not you have a case for suit. I can tell you, however, that the large majority of people who post to these boards thinking that they have a case for harassment, don't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">