• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change question as relates to employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

colbysanders

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon resident:Hi.I hope Im posting this question in the correct category?If not I apologize.
My question relates to a name change. Can a future employer tell that I changed my name if I dont tell them?
Thanks

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon resident:Hi.I hope Im posting this question in the correct category?If not I apologize.
My question relates to a name change. Can a future employer tell that I changed my name if I dont tell them?
Thanks

Colby, could you perhaps tell us what you are trying to accomplish? Your question is very vague.

Thanks! :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based SOLELY on the very few facts in your post is maybe.

You want a more definite answer, you're going to have to provide a little more information.

FlyingRon

Name changes aren't intended to be secret. Your name change will certainly come up with even the most cursory of background (or as others have pointed out, credit) checks.

HomeGuru

Thanks
**A; are you going to be in a Federal witness protection program?

cosine

There's no reason for a legal name change to raise a red flag, as long as the new (now current) legal name is used in an employment application made after the legal name change is ordered. But if the OP is doing something sneaky, like applying with the old name, or filled the form out in some way that claims there was no name change, then that might.

If one is in a witness protection program, the administrators of the program take care of creating the new identity and make it look "just right". And it would be out of scope for this forum, anyway.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm curious how the poster is figuring on getting references or showing past work history if he changes his name and doesn't want the employer to know it. If he applies under John Smith, but all his previous work history and references are under George Jones, he's going to have a hard time making the connection. And if he expects to get a job without previous work history or references, he better be able to either pass for under 21 or get used to saying, You want fries with that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">