• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nationality discrimination??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gwydion

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I tried to apply to a "household name" store but was informed that because my previous address was in England that they could not verify it (even though I have bank statements etc) and therefore refused to even accept an application. This sounds suspiciously like discrimination to me.

H

hexeliebe

I'm going to take a stab and assume (uh oh) that the poster was living in England. And because of the address verification matter this is a legitimate reason not to hire someone. It is not discrimination.

It's called verifiable references which yours are not.

G

Gwydion

I am from England (British Citizen) and moved to the US beginning of last year. I do have everything I need to be legally able to work so it sounds a little odd that they wouldn't even accept application.

HomeGuru

Gwydion said:
I am from England (British Citizen) and moved to the US beginning of last year. I do have everything I need to be legally able to work so it sounds a little odd that they wouldn't even accept application.
**A: are you also US citizen?

G

Gwydion

It's called verifiable references which yours are not
Even if I live at the same US address for 20 yrs my previous address will still be England and therefore "unverifiable"?

At which point does "previous address" cease to matter? Or does it?

Beth3

If they don't wish to hire you because you are English, that would be national origin discrimination. If they won't accept an application simply because they don't want to go to the trouble and expense of placing overseas calls to track down references and verify your employment history, that's up to them. I think that's a bit silly myself but it is their option.

You can always contact this store's corporate headquarters and ask if their policy is not to even accept applications from individuals from other countries, even though they have all the required work authorizations, and explain what happened to you. That ought to get a few folks in HR and their legal department plenty excited. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">