• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aterry323

What is the name of your state? AR

Do I have a case? I used to be an employee of a Country Club. My former general manager sexually harassed me for several months. Several other female employees and I kept a journal of the sexually innappropriate comments made by the said boss. After we felt plenty of evidence had mounted against my employer, I composed a letter outlining the events that had occurred. I sent this letter anonymously to the board of directors for the club in the hopes that they would take the appropriate actions to ensure that their employees would no longer be harassed.
At the time, I chose not to pursue litigation in the hopes that the board members, on which only one woman presides, would step up and take care of the problem. The board, after several weeks of investigation and the confirmation of several other employees, including many males who are willing to testify to witnessing the events, the board chose to do nothing. I moved about a month after that. In the meantime, the general manager who commited the harassment, found out that I wrote the letter.
When I moved away and left my job, my immediate supervisor wrote that I was, in fact, rehirable on my separation notice. I decided not to move and re-applied at a time when they were short-handed for employees in the server position. The general manager, however, told my immediate supervisor not to re-hire me because, and I quote, "I don't really want to get all that started up again." My immediate supervisor is also willing to testify to this conversation, as she was also sexually harassed. If I take this man to court, do I have a legitimate case?

Sockeye

It would be tough for you, since you voluntarily ended your employment, then reapplied.

If the current workers wish to do anything about it, they should make a formal complaint to the board (anonymous isn't strong enough to build a case) then if the situation doesn't improve, go to the EEOC.

Beth3

Anonymous letters simply don't carry the weight an identifiable complaint does. Among other things, whomever is subsequently conducting an investigation (assuming an investigation is even done and such a letter isn't dismissed as being from a crackpot with an axe to grind) doesn't have the opportunity to get further details from the person who wrote the letter thus seriously impacting the credibility of the complaint.

Regardless, if you wish to pursue this you must first file a complaint of prohibited discrimination with your State's equal rights division or the federal EEOC and receive a "right to sue" letter before you can take any civil action. How valid a complaint of retaliation you may have because you wrote that letter anonymously is impossible to say.

aterry323

He knew.

The letter was anonymous, but when I went to the board, I told them that I wrote it. It was documented that I wrote it. He knew that I wrote it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That does not change the fact that a right-to-sue letter from either the EEOC or the state human rights commission is MANDATORY before you can file a lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">