• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LTF

What is the name of your state?Missouri
I am posting on behalf of my son-in-law (J), who was terminated from his mechanics job, due to the fact that his boss found out he was looking for a better job. The problem is this: The engine in an old truck he bought blew up, his boss and manager told him to have it towed to the shop and he could work on it in his spare time. There was a vehicle that he worked on that came back with damage 3 weeks after the work was done, and the owner told J that he was responsible for the parts and labor to fix the damage. He charged J $450.00 for the parts. J still owed $285 on the bill, when the owner terminated him. He was told that "Since you are leaving anyway, get out, but you have to leave your personal tools, truck and engine here until you pay me back".
Can the owner actually keep his property as collateral for this? The police department here states its a civil matter and will not get involved unless they have statutes to follow. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Beth3

There was a vehicle that he worked on that came back with damage 3 weeks after the work was done, and the owner told J that he was responsible for the parts and labor to fix the damage. He charged J $450.00 for the parts. The heart of the issue is whether it was lawful for the boss to hold your SIL financially accountable for this. I suggest you SIL start by contacting his State's Department of Labor and find out if this was lawful; chances are it was not. If that is the case, then he can file a complaint with the DOL.

As to his personal property still at the worksite, the police are correct. It's a civil matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">